DIY: Ginger & Turmeric Collagen Shots
Gut health is the name of the game these days and I can’t stress enough how important it is to maintain a healthy balance in our ‘second brain’.
I have been on the hunt for the perfect ginger based shot but everything I was finding these days was labeled as a ‘healthy shot’ only to find out it contained loads of sugar, even in some of the smallest bottles. It wasn’t until my recent trip to London where I found what I would consider the best ginger shot I have ever had.
Since I love to experiment with new recipes and Kitchen Aid has given me a lifetime supply of every kitchen gadget they make, I put them to good use and decided to make my own shots (yellow hands and all) and share the perfected recipe with you.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1-1.5 lemons
- 20 grams fresh turmeric OR roughly a heaping TSP of dried turmeric
- 100 grams fresh ginger
- 3-4 peppercorns
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1-2 scoops of collagen (I use Primal Kitchen and only did 1 scoop for this batch, but you can choose to use more)
- 2 cups of water, warmed to about 55 degrees C (basically really warm water, not boiling)
- Grate the turmeric and ginger and wear gloves Take it from me, its been a week and my nails are still yellow. Also watch the knuckles!
- Add the grated turmeric and ginger, along with the peppercorns to the warm water and let it steep for 45 mins
- Add the honey, cayenne and juice from the lemons
- Stir until the honey has dissolved
- Once its fully cooled, strain the mixture into a bottle or mason jar (makes 16 oz) and add in your collagen
- Seal with a tight lid and refrigerate
- Mixture can stay in the fridge for 2-3 weeks
- Drink 2 ounces each morning upon waking (roughly 4g carb, 1g protein = 20 cals for those that are curious)
This can be quite strong so you can easily dilute it with a bit of water. Ginger and turmeric are both very potent and if you are on any medications or have any health conditions or are pregnant, consult your doctor first before taking daily
Want to learn more about the benefits of these ingredients? Check out my blog on My Top 4 Picks to Help Heal Your Gut and don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter where we will be rolling out a gut health series.